Our Benefactor - Lucy Kalanikumaikiekie Henriques

Lucy Kalanikumaiki'eki'e Henriques Charitable Trust is the legacy gift that supports the vision shared by two Hawaiian women who dreamed of improving healthcare in North Hawaii.  Lucy Kalanikumaiki'eki'e Davis, born on the island of Hawaii in 1878 of ali'i heritage, married Edgar Henriques in 1898 and established a home in Waimea.  Lucy Henriques and her cousin, Lucy Kapopaulu Peabody, shared a dream to build a medical facility in Waimea.  When Lucy Peabody died in 1928, she left a 12-acre parcel of land in Waimea -- Makahikilu (where the hospital now stands) -- to her cousin Lucy Henriques. Upon her death in 1932, Lucy Davis Henriques left Makahikilua and $100,000 in her will to fulfill the dream the two cousins had shared during their lifetimes.

Throughout the years, the trust funds, administered by Bishop Trust Company, grew significantly.  When probate was completed in the 1960s, funds were appropriated for feasibility studies.  Preliminary plans were drawn up for a 120-bed acute-care facility, the Northern Hawaii Hospital, but the timing was not right. The population of the Big Island was not large enough to support a full-service acute-care facility in Waimea. So in 1969, Lucy Henriques Medical Center, Inc., was chartered as a non-profit corporation responsible for ensuring outpatient medical care for the communities of North Hawaii - the place and its people that were so loved by Lucy Peabody and Lucy Henriques.

In 1976, Richard Smart, owner of Parker Ranch, led a successful fund drive to begin construction. The Lucy Henriques Trust, local individuals, businesses and foundations supported building costs and the purchase of medical equipment.  In 1977, Lucy Henriques Medical Center (LHMC) opened to serve the public with an array of outpatient services and medical office space.  The initial design of LHMC included the possibility of a phase-in to a full-service hospital.

In 1987, North Hawaii Community Hospital (NHCH) incorporated.  LHMC, albeit a separate, non-profit entity, was strongly supportive and pledged $2 million toward the construction of the new acute-care facility. Throughout the design and construction phases, the two neighboring administrations worked closely, with one board member sitting on both boards of directors.  When NHCH opened in 1996, LHMC simultaneously opened a brand new nine-bed renal dialysis unit to complement the new array of inpatient and outpatient services available to the community.

In 1999, NHCH and LHMC merged to create the entity we see today.